Mar 24, 2013 - education, reflection, technology, Uncategorized    Comments Off on Week 10 Reflection Blog Post: Mini Projects II

Week 10 Reflection Blog Post: Mini Projects II

Similar to last week, this week we spent more time working with mini projects with a broader focus on research. In order to understand the tools necessary to create these projects, we first had to familiarize ourselves with their capabilities. This week I chose to do the Timeline using Capzles to show the history of the value pi, and how to discover the ratio itself. I really enjoyed using this tool because it offers a new perspective for students to analyze the material through. While I chose to incorporate some history into my timeline, I could have also used this tool to demonstrate a process. Since most applications of mathematics take several steps it would be very easy to present the information on Capzles. I also think it would be good to offer this as a project choice for students to demonstrate their knowledge of the material. For example, in calculus there is a debate as to who discovered the content, Newton or Leibniz. I could have students pick one mathematician to research, then create a timeline of when they were credited with discovering their respective materials to see who they think truly founded calculus.

The other project I chose to work on this week was using Google Earth to create real world applications for the students. I worked on this assignment with classmate Karissa Herrick. We chose the SOL G13 which states that students will use surface area and volume equations to solve real world problems. To see more about what we did, check out my portfolio for the full details. I really enjoyed working on this assignment because it is a great way for students to complete a hands-on activity that keeps them engaged and enjoying learning. This is a tool that could very easily be used in math courses because it makes the content real to the students, and gives them a better sense of understanding (Taylor, 2009). Once I became more familiar with the technology I found more and more uses for it in the classroom (Dunn, 2011). I think assigning the students a project where they used formulas to solve real world problems would be hugely beneficial to their knowledge. Overall I enjoyed this week more than last week’s mini projects because it was easier to apply the technology to math problems. I think these are great tools to use in any classroom.

Refrences:

Taylor, F. (2009, September 09). Real world math using google earth. Retrieved from http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2009/09/real_world_math_using_google_earth.html

Dunn, J. (2011, August 08). These 7 math lesson plans are huge timesavers. Retrieved from http://edudemic.com/2011/08/7-math-lesson-plans/