Week 4 Reflection Blog Post: Information Literacy and Creativity

This week’s modules, while a little intimidating, gave me a lot of information over numerous resources. I was able to play with a lot of editing and visual resources this week through iPiccy for enhancing pictures, a google custom search engine designed for math, and scratch for creating games. While I have taken a couple of computer science courses involving programming, I have to say this week’s tasks were much harder. When I started playing around with scratch I figured I’d easily be able to figure it out considering I have experience programming games, and I could not have been more wrong. I didn’t look at any tutorials, and as a result had 5 “sprites” all that talked and moved at the same time. To say it was a headache is an understatement! After that failure I decided to go back and check out some of the examples and tutorials. All it took was one good tutorial and I was on track to finish my first game “equations“. It is not the best game I’ll admit, but after playing around with the program for a while I was happy it was just finally working! I am excited to spend some more time figuring out more tools in this program because I think it could be a great resource to use in the classroom. It is one of those activities that I know I could either make for them, or even have my students make themselves and share with the class.

Before I got a chance to play with these new tools, I was able to do a lot of research on blogs and Personal Learning Networks. Before this week I had never heard of PLN, but I now realize it is something that I will benefit greatly from. After setting up my delicious account I explored the other networks that were available to join. After finishing all the modules, as well as doing some blog searching, I ended this week with 8 new web accounts! I haven’t had an opportunity to explore all of them yet, but I did take some time to look at google reader, and Technorati. I was immediately hooked to google reader with how easy it was to find blogs to subscribe to. While browsing that search engine I actually found an article that gave me an option to post to my Delicious page. From there I moved on to Technorati and focused my searches on mathematics and education. I found a few blogs I enjoyed and actually joined one blog network called Huffington Post. There I read an article about a new style of teaching that related to topics I had discussed early in the week during class (Blackmon, 2013). Since it was free to join the network I was able to leave a comment on the blog, something I would have never done before this class! The ease of which I was able to find such interesting blogs took me by surprise, I found myself lost in math blogs about the “11 Most Beautiful Math Equations” (Moskowitz, 2013) – which I can assure you includes the Pythagorean theorem and the fundamental theorem of calculus. Overall I was happy with the blogging assignments for the week because as someone new to blogging and researching bloggers I was able to get a better feel for what it was all about.

Resources:

Moskowitz, C. (2013, February 2). [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://www.businessinsider.com/the-11-most-beautiful-math-equations-2013-1

Blackmon, P. (2013, January 29). [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/perea-blackmon/bringing-education-to-life_b_2577910.html

1 Comment

• Sounds like you were busy this week, too. I made it through all of these assignments as well, and I have to admit to feeling overwhelmed at first. The most difficult assignment for me was my Scratch game, which currently is more of a fun animation/tutorial than game. For me, the difficulty came in having a loftier vision than I was able to duplicate with the resources available. I looked at several tutorials as well, but they just didn’t click for me with the project I had started. I have no computer programming experience, so this was a completely new concept for me. Good for you for making it through so well! I look forward to working more on mine next week.