Week 3 Reflection Blog Post: Copyright

For this week’s assignment I utilized google as my main search engine. This is always my go to search browser so I was the most comfortable looking at the different features there. After reading about copyrights and creative commons I decided to start my search for an amusing cat (Willmed, 2007). As suggested, I typed in my search, and narrowed down my results to those free to use and share, even commercially. Now that I had options in the category of my choice, I freely browsed what there was to offer, and came upon this gem:

(Jaswal)

After looking further I was able to find the license, who owned it, and what I was allowed to do with it, simply my clicking on image details. Once I got to this page I found where the original picture was located and was then able to access the creative commons page. From here I was able to clearly see what I could do with the photo, which is to copy, distribute and transmit the work, and to make commercial use of the work. I also was able to see what I was not permitted to do, which includes altering, transforming, or building upon the work. This is available to me simply by attributing the image to the creator, Anitesh Jaswal.

The assignment this week was especially informative to me because through the years I have done countless presentations using images found from google or other search engines, never really understanding if I was allowed to or not. The only rule I knew to follow was that music clips were allowed if they were 30 seconds or shorter, because one teacher taught me that. Now that I know how to properly search for images I feel much better about creating presentations to share with my class.

It is extremely important to know and model these skills in the classroom because I wouldn’t want my students to be as lost as I was when it came to presentations. Once students get out into the “real world” it is going to be crucial to know what is acceptable to use, and what needs to be purchased. This also applies to the other side, if a student wants to publish a piece of work they should know how to protect their rights to the work. While many of the copyright videos and articles were beneficial, such as the topic of fair use in the “Copyright for Educators” youtube video, I found the digital footprint video to be the most informative (Copyright Education, 2011).

Since we now live in a society that is dominated by technology, it is important for us as educators to inform our students of the dangers of the internet. While I agree that the internet can be a wonderful resource, it can also be very poorly abused. Many students that grow up using the internet have no filter on what they post, search, and share. After watching the PBS video “Growing up Online” I was shocked at how much damage one mistake can cause an adolescent. While most of the examples used in this video were of social media postings, this could also lead to tremendous trouble with copyright violations (Frontline, 2008). A lot of adolescents are active bloggers, and as we know everything you do online leaves a digital footprint (Jutt, 2009). If a student were to blog a piece of work they have completed where they used images or text from another source without properly citing it could lead to a lot of trouble for the individual. By spending just a little time with students teaching them internet etiquette for copyrights could go a long way for their education and success.

References:

Copyright Education. (Photographer). (2011). Copyright for educators (fair use). [Web Video]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lUPiYvHsJc&feature=youtu.be

Frontline. (Photographer). (2008). Growing up online. [Web Video]. Retrieved from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/kidsonline/view/

Jutt, J. (Photographer). (2009). Common sense media: Digital footprint intro. [Web Video]. Retrieved from http://vimeo.com/6709512

Willmed. (Photographer). (2007). Creative commons – get creative. [Print Photo]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io3BrAQl3so

Jaswal, A. (Photographer). (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.flickr.com/photos/aniteshjaswal/6963199795/lightbox/

2 Comments

• After reading the blog posts’ of most of our classmates (including yours and mine) for this week’s assignment I find it shocking that most of us didn’t have the knowledge or were hesitant about copyright laws because most of our middle and high school teachers didn’t inform us about copyright laws.

Where does the responsibility of teaching copyright fall on? Should elementary school teachers teach their third graders how to properly cite and search for a source or material? Do you think you have the responsibility as a Math teacher? Or should I teach my Spanish students about copyright laws?
    I agree with you it is essential and it’s our responsibility, as teachers, to educate our students about copyright laws, and not assume that our 11th or 12th graders comprehend copyright laws because some might and some may be totally clueless. We also need to emphasize that following copyright laws is important because adolescents might ask themselves, “what is the big deal if I use a “borrowed” image for my Facebook page or personal blog.”

I agree with you we should informant our students about the wonders and the risks of using the web.

Great post!

• I agree with your post about students making mistakes in the area of copyright regulations and ending up in trouble. Whether it is an intentional or unintentional mistake, students need to be aware of good practices so they can apply them in school and in their personal lives. It seems like we need law degrees to fully understand the copyright issues, but with the help of our INDT 501 class posted videos and research online we should be able to help our students navigate this important avenue.